Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thursday Thanks #2

Today I'm still thankful for an awesome husband who made my girls trip to NYC last weekend possible.  Ric and the girls had movie nights and went shopping at Costco among other things - Friday night Lucy even told me "I don't miss you at all mommy!!!".  She was pretty excited about that because she was very worried the night before I left that she would miss me too much.  I am also thankful that I have adventurous and girlfriends to take trip with - my mom, Brandie my sister in law, and Lisa R my best friend.  Our trip to NYC was awesome and my friend Lisa R actually had some pictures (I didn't take a single one) for me to share of some of highlights. 

Broadway - my favorite thing to do in NYC is to go see a couple shows.  We waited in the half price ticket line on Friday and got second row seats for the previews of Scandalous a new musical written by Kathie Lee Gifford.  It was a good musical, the story was interesting, and the lead had a great voice.  The story is the life story of a 1920s female Evangelist who started a huge church in LA.  I wasn't a huge fan of the preaching style of much of the dialogue and songs but they were very fitting for the show.  Saturday night we saw "Nice Work If You Can Get It" which is a romantic comedy of Gershwin music set in prohibition starring Matthew Broderick.  I recognized a lot of the music like "I say tomato, you say tomato".  It was funny and high energy, which I enjoyed a lot.
 
 
Other than walking a million blocks (its just a couple blocks from here girls!), we also ventured into the subways to check out some more distance attractions like China town.

 
 
We did some shopping other than our quick trip to Chinatown, Macy's of course, in and out of some other shops on 5th avenue.  Shopping is not really my thing, but I do like to shop the local artist.  My only purchase other than my Christmas ornament to remember the trip was a very cool stainless steel ring.  We also found a great outdoor shopping area with a lot of character in Bryant Park.  There we had lunch from stands and were able to watch the ice skaters and people in the park.  It was an excellent unexpected outing.
 
 
My absolute favorite part of this trip was the food tour we took of Nolita (North of Little Italy) and Noho (north of Houston Street).  We went with Foods of NY - http://www.foodsofny.com/ - which we have done before and it is always excellent.  The guide, Anny, was awesome, the neighborhood is adorable and the food was great!
 
roman style pizza at Emporio Restaurant

watermelon juice and some yummy corn dish at Arron Sanchez's restaurant Fonda Nolita
 
 


 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment