Sunday, October 21, 2012

Video Blast from the Past (Day 21 of 31/21)

I finally have an answer to my frustrating issue of never writing a blog on the same computer as the pictures I want to use!  My excellent hubby bought me a 64GB flash drive so I downloaded everything from the basement computer that I don't like to write on because that computer hates me but it has 5.5 years of pictures on it that sometimes I need.  So while I was waiting for my many picture locations to upload to the flash (which took about 4 hours), I was clicking around at pictures from when Cate was a baby and making a lot of "awww" and "oh my gosh" noise when I hit upon a folder of untitled videos.  I opened a few at random and found one that reminded me just how amazingly far Cate's speech has come.  This video was taken within a month or two of when she turned three years old.  I'm absolutely sure of that even though the date doesn't seem to have been recorded because one, she got that Candy Land game from her Uncle Lane & Aunt Brandie for Christmas so it is after December 2008 and two I am hugely pregnant so it was before March 2009.
You are going to love the adorable hair, sweet little round face and smile in this one - promise!
It isn't hard to figure out how this little girl started capturing hearts!
(a reminder from an email version you need to click on the actual blog but I swear it will be worth the extra clicks!)
 



It brought back crazy memories of Cate's speech back then or lack of it.  She made a lot of sounds but very few words, she mostly communicated in signs - which she doesn't here because we never taught her color signs - hand motions, lots of pointing, and facial expression.  You can see how smart she was because she got the game and the concept of matching here, she just doesn't have the words.  She says "K" a few times and you'll here her version of "cheese" at one point when she looks at Ric with the camera but other that that the only real word is "go".  Crazy to think that 3.5 yrs ago she hardly talked at all, now she hardly every stops!  I tell other women on the BC DS board that all the time as they worry their children are so late talking but truthfully I'd let myself really forget how far behind Cate really was when she turned three.  I mean Lucy at that age could say hundreds of words, heck today she she was making up a song for Cate in the car that went "I love Cate, everybody loves Cate but Cate doesn't like bears, Cate doesn't like bears and she doesn't like coyotes either".  Ric asked her if she knew what a coyote was and Lucy said - "its like a wolf daddy".  At 3.5, Cate didn't have words for any animals much less the ability to make up songs on the fly.  But of course all that matters is she does now!  Her responding song started as an "I Love Lucy too" song and abruptly changed to a "trees have leave that fall" song, then to the months of the year song.  Our journey is so amazing and it is good to be reminded of how far we've come sometimes!  

4 comments:

  1. Goodness this just made me tear up. Ev is only 17mo (almost 18), but she has just about as much speech as Cate does in this video (without the matching, game concepts). And it sort of worries me to think that she might be 3, 3.5 before we get any speech. Seeing how far Cate has come gives me hope.
    What an awesome flashback!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate definitely waited until she'd mastered walking to even think about talking very much. She has always been a one major milestone at a time girl with speech the lowest on her personal priority list. But around the age of your Ev she really started to "communicate". We may have not been getting true words but she used her signs, gestures and face to tell us everything we needed to know. You get there!

      Delete
  2. okay, I am amazed. You said on Deanna's post she was only three and two months here?? I can't even picture Lily doing this, and that's how old she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep she was really just over 3 yrs here. Keep in mind we had played this game probably 50 times at the time this video was taking because she loved pulling the handle. She was always good at colors and matching. Still today she will sit for an hour with colored items sorting & resorting them into group. Unfortunately they don't make this game anymore because it was a great one for that developmental stage.

      Delete